Friday, November 5, 2010

CentsAble Recipe: White Bean Chicken Chili

Courtesy of All You
I just came across this amazing White Bean Chicken Chili recipe on All You, and wanted to share this with all of you. Especially with the weather finally cooling off in most of the country - I thought this would make a wonderful weekend dinner.


INGREDIENTS
2 – 15oz Cans White Beans, rinsed & drained
4 cps low-sodium chicken broth
1 Tbls Vegetable Oil
2 Whole Bone-In Chicken Breasts (3lbs)
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 Onions, chopped
4 Cloves of Garlic, chopped/minced
2 – 4oz cans of rosted green chilies, drained
1Tbls Grd Cumin
2 Tbls Fresh Cilantro, chopped (this was my personal addition)

PREPARATION
Place beans and broth in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on high until beans are tender, 2 hours

Warm oil in skillet over md-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and peper. Place chicken skin side down in skillet, cook until brown, about 4 mins. Turn and cook for 2-3 more minutes. Transfer to a plate; remove and discard skin.

Drain all but 2 Tbls fat from skillet, add onion & garlic. Cook until softened, 5 mins. Add onion and garlic, chilies, 1 cup water and cumin to slow cook. Stir; add chicken.

Cook on low for 6 hours, stirring twice. Remove 1 cup beens plus ½ cups liquid from slow cooker. Puree in a blender, return to slow cooker. Remove chicken, shred it and return to slow cooker. Sppon into individual  bowls. (Sprinkle with Cilantro & top with some sour cream)


CentsAble Recommendations
I personally would not cook the beans for 2 hours prior, I plan to add everything at once to the slow cooker and let it all cook for 6 hours, the beans, imo, would become too soft if they cooked too much longer than the rest of the ingredients.

I will also add ½-1 tsp of Cayenne Pepper to mine, just for a little kick (or you could toss in a a few jalapeno peppers).

I would serve with Tortilla chips or some fresh garlic bread. Or for a fun twist serve with Frito Lays Chips

Let us all know if you made and if you did anything different from the original recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...